Thursday, March 19, 2020

Soooo....Raven Salon is Closed, Until Further Notice


COVID-19 UPDATE: 

Per State Mandate, We're Closed as of 3/17/2020

So...things have changed since my last post!!!
Not just for me, but for all of us--I hope you are healthy and on the lowest possible end of Life's Disruption Scale. I'd really hoped that my most recent post (featuring my hours & new rates after Raven Salon's April 1st price adjustment) would be the last Big News for quite a while, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

Due to Governor Jay Inslee's mandate closing hair, nail and waxing salons as of St. Patrick's Day (3/17/2020), Raven Salon has paused operations indefinitely. We are aware that this mandated closing will most likely last several months, but we are trying not to panic just yet. 

What Does This Mean For You?

You are going to be shaggy. Unbelievably, flammably shaggy.
We'll have tons of grown-out hair to work with: long, beautiful hair! Keep the faith & hold on, I'll be there for you on the other side!!!


What Does This Mean For Me?

As an independent contractor...this situation honestly ain't great. I have a little bit of a cushion (thank you, fizzled-move-to-Austin-that-I-nattered-on-about-all-year!) but the longer this closure lasts, the quicker my kittycat Felicia goes from this:



to this:



I know there's nothing we can do. I figured salons would close at some point (due to the less-than-six-feet nature of haircuts), but to have my entire industry shut down indefinitely is frightening. This disaster has loosened some of the federal restrictions for self-employed folks / independent contractors / small business owners to receive unemployment benefits, so am applying for everything and hoping for the best. 

I'm also putting feelers out for writing/editing/blogging work. My OG clients know that I hold an MFA in creative writing from UW and have provided content, editing, and SEO for several respected winery blogs. I'm on LinkedIn and you can find my portfolio here.

I guess that's all for now. This is weird, not seeing you guys!!!

I hope we all get through this with our sanity intact and a roof still over our heads. I will post updates on this blog asap, and want to thank you again for your patronage and loyalty over the years, I really appreciate it and am honored that I've been able to be a small part of your lives for so long--and hope that continues!

Take the very best of care, I look forward to seeing you as soon as is prudent. Let me know how you're doing in the comments, please!
xx--P

No comments:

Post a Comment